Monday, February 8, 2010

Bringing America to Mali

Similar to America, in Mali it is customary to bring gifts back to your family and friends when you have been away for an extended period of time. I brought some presents from the USA and decided to make them extra America-tastic by wrapping them in shiny Christmas wrapping paper and ribbons. I thought my Malian family would be simply delighted by this unique American tradition. Instead, they stared at the paper-covered objects and back at me with a bewildered look as I tried in vain to explain why they needed to tear open the decorative paper and throw it on the ground with great gusto. The number of Malians who think I'm a legit loony increased by a factor of ten in that day alone.

On the bright side, it turns out that the annoying sealed plastic that everything in America comes cased in poses no threat to a Malian. Whereas an American man would accidentally slice his fingers open with a pocket knife while attempting to wrestle his new Frisbee out of its plastic packaging, my host brother easily took care of things using his recently sharpened machete. One whack and that Frisbee was free to fly; not a drop of blood was shed.
It's great being back in Mali! My friend Fatoumata is getting married next month, so soon we'll head over to the big Zegoua market to get matching fabric for our wedding outfits. Also, now that my first 6 months in Mali are over, I am able to communicate pretty well in Bambara and can start seriously planning projects with my homologue. Our major project is getting a pump installed so that people in Kadiaradugu have access to potable water (more detail on that in my next email). However, I'm also doing some smaller projects: a literacy program, handwashing formations, and a weekly health-based radio program in Zegoua.

No comments:

Post a Comment