Sunday, November 3, 2013

Helping C. go to medical school

In Mali, one doctor serves a population of more than 10,000 people. By contrast, the average doctor in the United States serves a population of 417. Mali needs many more skilled doctors and nurses, and a young woman from my Peace Corps village of Kadiaradugu is trying to become one of them.

Her name is C., and she's a 24-year old who is about to begin her third and final year of nursing medical training in Sikasso. Her older brother, Hadi, was my colleague in my Peace Corps village and needs help paying her third year of tuition ($500). He helped to build the two water pumps that provide clean water for all of Kadiaradugu, and he was the driver behind the hygiene education programs we've set up. He has also been instrumental in continuing our women's literacy program since I left the village. He paid for C.'s first semester of schooling in 2011, and then the cassava crops failed and the war began. The Peace Corps Volunteer before me, Chelsea, helped pay for C.'s Spring 2012 semester, and I helped pay for the next two semesters (Fall 2012 and Spring 2013). We need a little help to get the final year of C.'s schooling funded, and anything would be appreciated! If you're interested in helping her out, I have included a PayPal button below and will send them any money we raise using Western Union. Once we reach our goal, I'll take down the 'donate' link and will post a screenshot of the PayPal account, and a copy of the Western Union receipt.

I've included a picture of C. below. She's a real inspiration to the rest of the girls in Kadiaradougou - she is the first person from our village, male or female, to pursue any kind of medical degree.

This small investment in C. will enable another 10,000 people to be served by a skilled physician's assistant, and will inspire and encourage a generation of young women in Kadiaradugu to pursue their goals.


***Thank you everyone! We received the full tuition for C.'s final year. For accountability and transparency purposes, I will post the Western Union disbursement receipt and a screenshot of the PayPal account (with names blurred out) showing the amounts donated and total received.

No comments:

Post a Comment